It’s essential that you take your child in for a dental checkup by the time they turn 1, according to the Australian Council of Paediatric Dentists and pediatricians. If your child is getting close to this age or is already older, you should start scheduling a checkup.
The very first dental visit is more about getting to know the patient and familiarising them with the dental environment. The goal is to ensure that the patient feels as comfortable and safe as possible. To achieve this, parents mustn’t make the dental visit something to worry about. Parents with dental anxieties should be careful not to transmit this to their children.
But because we want you to feel confident whenever you take your child for a dental checkup, here, your trusted children’s dentist in Earlwood shares everything you can expect when your little one visits the dentist:
What You Can Expect During a Paediatric Dental Visit
When you take your child to the paediatric dentist, you want to be confident that they are in good hands. Here is everything you can expect when your little one visits the dentist.
The dentist will first examine your child’s teeth to look for any signs of decay. They will also look for any areas that may need further attention. If your child requires cleaning, the dentist will gently clean their teeth using a special toothbrush and water.
If your child needs to fill any cavities, the dentist will use a special drill to remove all the decay and then fill the hole with a special dental putty. After the filling is in place, the dentist will use a special light to harden the putty.
If your child needs an extraction, their dentist will first give them a local anesthetic to numb the area. They will then use a tool to extract the tooth.
The dentist will also check your child’s gums for any signs of disease. If necessary, they may recommend a course of treatment to help improve your child’s gum health.
Knowing what to expect when your child visits the dentist makes you confident that they are in good hands.
How You Can Make Your Child More Comfortable During Their Visit to the Dentist
Taking your child to the dentist can be a daunting experience, but there are some things you can do to make the dental visit more comfortable. Here are some tips:
1. Choose a dentist that specialises in paediatrics. They will be more experienced working with children and making them feel comfortable.
2. Talk to your child about the visit beforehand. Explain what will happen in a way that they can understand. This will help them feel more prepared and less anxious.
3. Bring along a comfort item from home. This could be a stuffed animal, blanket, or toy. Having something familiar will help your child feel more at ease.
4. Make sure the dentist’s office is child-friendly. Look for things like colorful decor, kid-sized chairs, and television screens in the treatment area.
5. Ask the dentist about ways to make the experience more comfortable for your child. They may be able to offer options like numbing gel or nitrous oxide (laughing gas).
By following these simple tips, you can help make your child’s visit to the dentist more comfortable.
When it comes to oral health, it’s essential to start early. Taking your child to a dentist in Earlwood when they’re young can help them establish good oral hygiene habits and help keep their teeth healthy. Plus, it will make visits to the dentist much less stressful for them. Be sure to discuss oral health with your child and help them learn the importance of oral hygiene.
The TLC Dentist is here for your family when you need a reliable children’s dentist in Earlwood. Contact us today to schedule an appointment for your little one!